Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Chillin' in the O.C.

Ms N had to attend a another conference for work. She spent most of April schlepping around backwoods Pennsylvania presenting to one small-town government after another all by her lonesomes. So when this latest presentation came up, I decided that I would be the wonderful fiance that I claim to be and take a few days off from work so I could go keep her company.

Of course, since I was not a registered attendee at the conference, I was not supposed to be in the convention center. So while Ms N got to have fun meeting local government representatives from towns and cities throughout the state of Maryland, I had to spend the days trying to find something to do here:

Beachy Keen
Ocean City, Maryland

Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs.


(The Redneck Riviera)

Naturally, whenever you visit a new town, you always want to take in the sights and meet the local people.

Unfortunately, I never saw these bikini babes ...

Having fun; wish you were her.

Ridin' a Har(d)leyBut I did see some biker chicks!

I also got to swim in the ocean for the first time in a year, which is something I just love to do.

I am a real dork when it comes to ocean swimming, as Ms N will attest.

(Actually, Ms N will attest to me being a dork when it comes to lots of things. Ocean swimming, computer games, blogging, Sudoku, football, Killer Sudoku, boobs, accounting, comedies, Weird Al ... I could go on, or you could just ask her.)

What a dork!

I love the feeling of bobbing about amongst the waves, fighting or following the current as it drifts to and fro, peeing freely, going from knee-deep to chin-deep to knee-deep water without so much as lifting a foot from the sand; all while relaxing to the melodic symphony of crashing waves and calling sea birds.

Things to do ...

Puketastic!

Besides the beach (not to mention beside the beach!), Ocean City has a lively 3 mile long boardwalk which ends at the amusement park.

Having enjoyed our meals, we decided to forgo the upchuck-inducing thrill rides. We were going to forgo rides altogether, but after a bit of prodding I managed to sucker Ms N into taking a ride on the Ferris wheel.

Ask me about trying to get this picture ...Home Sleet Home

The walk down the boardwalk was made all the more enjoyable by the distractions along the way, such as this reminder from home. The walk back was made all the more enjoyable by the fact that we did it sitting down. Even at $2.75, those tram cars are worth every penny.

What?  You expect me to have a silly caption for EVERY picture?

One of the first things you see in Ocean City is the wild mini golf courses. Mini golf seems to be the official sport. Philadelphia Ave is riddled with courses of various themes, from pre-historic to dragon to Amazonian adventure.

It's a place right out of history

And just to show that alarmist warning signs you see everywhere are nothing new, note the sign found at this prehistoric site.

Lava rocks may be sharp!

Go fly a kite!

But before you blow all of your money trying to sink your balls, stop by the Kite Loft. I never thought a kite store could have so much interesting stuff in it. Too bad they wouldn't let me kite a check ...

Good Lord ...

How's it hangin'?

This was one of several Christian-themed sand sculptures all done by the same artist.

The other one true religion

I took this picture while driving past the Lutheran church. I didn't see what was on the marquee until I got back to the hotel.

Get salvation and quick cash in the same stop!

I guess they don't take the "I left my checkbook at home" excuse when passin' the plate.

About those rednecks ...

To be fair, the town's neck has changed its hue in recent years. The Ocean Gallery pictured above is a throwback to Ocean City's more rednecky times. Most of the town had some degree of sophistication (Lava rock warning signs notwithstanding). (In fact, I really only heard two or three families speaking yokel.)

I had to seek out stores that catered to those with necks of red.

Where are the blowfish?

I didn't have to search hard, mind you, but I did have to search nonetheless.

More than a mouthful ...Who needs immigration reform, anyways?It's just like playing on the monster truck tires at home!Would that be the Peckermobile?

Note that even at the cigar store, the smoking section is outside!By day ...By night ...

Personally, I stop drinking about the time my beverages sprout legs and start dancin'.

Apparently Anthony thinks otherwise ...

Parting Shots ...

Ah, a place for us accountants to whine and dine ...

Joggers X-ing next half mile?

This cab was vintage! The shifter was on the steering column and the driver smoked while shuttling passengers around.

No comments: